Present Simple and Present Continuous
1. Part 1. Настоящее простое и длительное (Present Simple and Present Continuous).1. Find someone who … (to go) clubbing every other week.
Find someone who goes clubbing every other week.
2. Prince William … (to think) football and skiing … (to be) great.
Prince William thinks football and skiing are great.
3. I … (to write) now on behalf of Midfield School.
I am writing now on behalf of Midfield School.
4. As far as I know, skill … (to come) with practice.
As far as I know, skill comes with practice.
5. He’s such a boring man, who … (always/to make) a fuss about nothing.
He’s such a boring man, who is always making a fuss about nothing.
6. This box is very heavy. It … (to weigh) a lot.
This box is heavy. It weighs a lot.
7. ‘Hello, Jane! Where … (you/to call) me from?’
‘Hello, Jane! Where are you calling me from?’
8. If you … (not, to look) at this comic book, I’d like to see it.
If you are not looking at this comic book, I’d like to see it.
2. Part 2. Present Perfect and Present Perfect Continuous.Susan … (just/to pass) her driving test.
Susan has just passed her driving test.
2. She … (to phone) him three times this morning.
She has phoned him three times this morning.
3. John … (to walk) all morning. His feet are aching.
John has been walking all morning. His feet are aching.
4. … (you, to clean) the bathroom yet?
Have you cleaned the bathroom yet?
5. He … (to live) here for nearly a year and I … (not, to see) him do any cleaning.
He has been living here for nearly a year and I haven’t seen him do any cleaning.
6. John and Nora … (to be married) for 20 years.
John and Nora have been married for 20 years.
7. He … (to go) to Brussels to interview a famous football player.
He has gone to Brussels to interview a famous football player.
8. He … (still, to write) to his Granny.
He still hasn’t written to his Granny.
3. Part 3. Past Simple, Past Continuous, Past Perfect.1. What happened yesterday? How … (you, to burn) your ear?
What happened yesterday? How did you burn your ear?
2. I … (to iron) when the phone rang and I … (to answer) the iron by mistake.
I was ironing when the phone rang and I answered the iron by mistake.
3. He … (to leave) by the time I got there.
He had left by the time I got there.
4. While I … (to cycle) yesterday morning I crashed into a bush.
While I was cycling yesterday morning I crashed into a bush.
5. She was sad because she … (to fail) the test.
She was sad because she had failed the test.
14. When she … (to be) young she danced a lot.
When she was young she danced a lot.
15. Ted … (to read) a book while Mary was sleeping.
Ted was reading a book while Mary was sleeping.
16. Elvis Presley … (to die) in 1977.
Elvis Presley died in 1977.
17. I … (to sleep) at 3 o’clock yesterday afternoon.
I was sleeping at 3 o’clock yesterday afternoon.
4. Part 4. Future Tense + средства выражения будущего.1. We … (to make) a speech tomorrow at the conference.
We are making /are going to make a speech tomorrow at the conference.
2. I am afraid I … (to be) a little late.
I am afraid I will be a little late.
3. Look at the black clouds in the sky! It … (to rain).
Look at the black clouds in the sky! It is going to rain.
4. Tom … (to promote). His boss has decided to do this.
Tom is going to be promoted. His boss has decided to do this.
5. She … (probably, to get) a promotion.
She will probably get a promotion.
6. What time … (the bank, to open) tomorrow?
What time does the bank open tomorrow?
7. I hope I … (to be) on time.
I hope I will be on time.
8. What book … (we, to read)?
What book shall we read?
5. Part 5. Пассивный залог (Passive Voice).1. Yesterday he … (to knock) down by a lorry.
Yesterday he was knocked down by a lorry.
2. You … (highly, to recommend) for this job yesterday.
You were highly recommended for this job yesterday.
3. I … (just, to give) some good remarks about you.
I have just been given some good remarks about you.
4. I promise you … (to pay) $600 to start with and $900 after a year.
I promise you will be paid $600 to start with and $900 after a year.
5. The car … (to repair) now.
The car is being repaired now.
6. The car … (to repair) when I arrived.
The car was being repaired when I arrived.
7. The car … (to repair) by yesterday evening.
The car had been repaired by yesterday evening.
8. I … (usually, to call) by my friends during the lesson.
I am usually called by my friends during the lesson.
6. Part 6. Условные предложения (The First and Second Conditionals)If he … (to leave) early, he will be in time for the meeting.
If he leaves early, he will be in time for the meeting.
2. If I saw a ghost, I … (to run) away.
If I saw a ghost, I would run away.
3. As soon as he … (to get) home, he’ll give a call.
As soon as he gets home, he’ll give a call.
4. Until they … (to be) back, I’ll stay here.
Until they are back, I’ll stay here.
5. What … (you, to buy) if you were in my place?
What would you buy/could you buy if you were in my place?
6. If you … (to hurry), you’ll catch the train.
If you hurry, you’ll catch the train.
7. Help if you … (to want).
Help if you want.
8. If I … (to be) you, I would never do it.
If I were you, I would never do it.
7. Part 7. Модальные глаголы (Modal Verbs).1. I’m a hopeless fisherman but I’m not a liar, so now I … (modal verb of
ability) tell my wife I caught them.
… so now I can tell my wife I caught them.
2. When I was there I … (modal verb of ability) smell something burning.
When I was there I could smell something burning.
3. I’ve been looking for your key but I … (modal verb of ability) it them yet.
I’ve been looking for your key but I haven’t been able to find it yet.
4. You … (modal verb of obligation) study hard.
You must study hard.
5. He … (modal verb of deduction) be rich. The house is too small.
He can’t be rich. The house is too small.
8. Part 8. Неличные формы глагола (Infinitive and Gerund).You can’t go without … (to buy) a ticket.
You can’t go without buying a ticket.
2. Why don’t you go … (to see) the film?
Why don’t you go to see the film?
3. Who makes him … (to do) it?
Who makes him do it?
4. Don’t you know where … (to have) a rest?
Don’t you know where to have a rest?
5. I suggest … (to fly) to Moscow.
I suggest flying to Moscow.
6. I remember his/him/Tom’s/Tom … (to complain) about the poor service in
I remember his/him/Tom’s/Tom complaining about the poor service in this
7. Remember … (to buy) some milk on the way home.
Remember to buy some milk on the way home.
9. Part 9. Степени сравнения (comparison).1. It would be … (little) cruel of you if you did not keep repeating it.
It would be less cruel of you if you did not keep repeating it.
2. He comes here … (often) than me.
He comes here more often than me.
3. He lives … (far) away than her.
He lives farther/further away than her.
4. For … (far) details, consult your lawyer.
For further details, consult your lawyer.
5. Tom is as … (tall) as Jim.
Tom is as tall as Jim.
6. … (early) you leave, the earlier you come back.
The earlier you leave, the earlier you come back.
7. The story is becoming … (much) and … (much) interesting.
The story is becoming more and more interesting.
8. The more reliable, … (expensive) the car is.
The more reliable, the more expensive the car is.
10. Part 10. Показатели количества (quantifiers).1. I wish I had … (quantifiers) of money.
I wish I had a lot of money.
2. There are very … (quantifiers) honest people around here these days.
There are very few honest people around here these days.
3. Oh, no! I don’t have … (quantifiers) books.
Oh, no! I don’t have any books.
4. There is … (quantifiers) cheese in the fridge.
There is a lot of/plenty of cheese in the fridge.
5. Do you have … (quantifiers) time to do any shopping?
Do you have much time to do any shopping?
6. ‘Do we have any bread?’ ‘… (quantifiers).’
‘Do we have any bread?’ ‘None.’
7. Very … (quantifiers) progress has been made.
Very little progress has been made.
8. There aren’t … (quantifiers) oranges.
There aren’t many oranges.
11. Test 1. Do all these 20 sentences, then check yourself.1. Jeanette usually works all day but today she … (not, to work) at all.
2. The house was very quiet when I got home. Everybody … (to leave) for work.
3. He would certainly buy a better car if he … (to have) enough money.
4. Don’t phone me between 7 an 8 tomorrow. We … (to have dinner) with partners.
5. Sarah is very tired. She … (to swim) very hard recently.
6. I was so disappointed that I did … (comparison, bad) in the exam than I used to.
7. Do you know about Sue? She … (to give up) her job as an engineer.
8. What is … (superlative, enjoyable) holiday you’ve ever had?
9. You’ve been travelling all day. You … (modal of deduction) be very tired.
10. There’s no need to hurry. We’ve got … (quantifiers) time.
11. It was the first time he … (to drive) a coach.
12. She said that she … (to call) me when she got back.
13. I have to meet Ann in ten minutes. I’d better … (to go) now or I … (to be) late.
14. I was driving along the road when I …. (to see) a bus which … (to break) down.
15. Let’s go out. It … (not, to snow) in the street now.
16. I live only a short walk from here, so it’s not worth … (to take) a taxi.
17. What would happen if I … (to turn) on this machine?
18. This telephone is (comparison, modern) than mine.
19. I am used to … (to drive) on the left because I’ve lived in Britain for a long time.
20. The building … (to suppose) to date from the twentieth century.
2 had left
4 are having dinner/are going to have
5 has been swimming
7 has given up
8 the most enjoyable
10 a lot of/plenty of
11 had driven
12 would call
13 go, will be
14 saw, had broken
15 is not snowing
18 more modern
20 is supposed
13. Test 2. Do all these 20 sentences, then check yourself.1. Tom hasn’t got anywhere to live nowadays. So he … (to stay) with friends until they find somewhere.
2. He is very lazy. He … (not, to do) anything about the house, as a rule.
3. I prefer … (to eat) at home to having lunch in our canteen.
4. That cut looks bad. We’d better … (to phone) for an ambulance.
5. I must hurry. My boss will be annoyed if I … (not, to come) on time for the meeting.
6. Normally this watch … (to make) in Switzerland.
7. It’s a long walk from here to the railway station – much … (comparison, far) than we even imagined.
8. They say, he … (to be) in the office since 9 o’clock. I still haven’t met him, though.
9. Take an umbrella with you when you go out. It … (modal verb) rain in the afternoon.
10. Let’s go. We don’t have … (quantifiers) time before the meeting starts.
11. I am quite full after dinner. I am not used to … (to eat) so much.
12. Jack … (to break) his finger in a fight last Monday.
13. We are late. I guess, the film … (to start) soon.
14. Would you like … (to have) a cup of coffee now or later?
15. They … (to be) rather offended if I didn’t go to see them.
16. Look! A new department store … (to construct) now just in front of our office.
17. Tom burnt his new frying pan when he … (to cook) some vegetables.
18. She told me her email address but I … (to remember) it now.
19. Petrol is twice as … (comparison, expensive) as it used to be.
20. I made him … (to play) football in the yard.
2 doesn't do
5 do not come/don’t come
6 is made/was made
8 has been
13 will start
14 to have
15 would be
16 is being constructed
17 was cooking
18 don’t remember/can’t remember