1. WaterYou will:
- explain the properties of water and its importance for living organisms
2. Properties of water• Universal solvent
• Surface tension
• High heat capacity
• Low density at solid state
3. Universal solvent• Water is a common solvent for most biochemical reactions.
For example water dissolves sugar
4. Surface tension• Surface of water allows to resist to external force
5. Cohesion• sticking of water molecules to each other
6. Adhesion• sticking of water molecules to another (not water)
8. Heat capacity• high heat capacity water regulates body temperature.
9. Low density at solid state• low density at solid state making ice float, it helps aquatic organisms
to survive at subzero (below 0) temperatures in winter