Basic terms used in the industry of meat and meat products
of meat and meat products
* Sheep – мелкий скот
* Brains, kidneys, breast – мозги, почки, грудинка
* culinary destination – кулинарное назначение
* mutton – баранья лопатка
* grouse, partridges – рябчики, куропатки
* char-grilled – на углях
* cinnamon, cloves – корица, гвоздика
* features – особенности
* veal dairy - телятина молочная
* without deep cuts - без глубоких надрезов
* for forequarter - для передней четвертины
* dirt – загрязнения
* blood clots – сгустки крови
* boning – обвалка
* chuck – лопаточная часть
* neck – шейная часть
* spinal ribs – спинно-реберная часть
* lumbar – поясничная часть
* posterior pelvic – заднетазовая часть
* shoulder and shoulder of – плечевая и заплечевая часть
* breast area (ribs) – грудная часть (грудинка)
* the undercut portion - подлопаточная часть
* tenderloin – вырезка
* bacon and eggs-яичница с беконом
* baked ham-буженина
* roast chicken-жареный цыплёнок
* chicken breast-куриная грудка
* chicken wings-куриные крылышки
* chicken legs-куриные ноги
* tenderloin (steak) — филе (постное)
* veal — телятина
* rib eye (steak) — стейк без костей (нежное)
* sirloin (steak) — стейк без костей (большой кусок)
* spare ribs — ребрышки
* baked / fried — жареный
* broiled / roast — приготовленный на гриле
5. Selection and grading of manufacturing-meat from cattle. Beef carcass schematic*
* hind shank-задняя часть
* Round-круглая часть
* Flank-боковая часть
* front shank-передний хвостовик
* rib set-набор ребер
* Chuck* Neck-шея
* Forelimb-передняя часть
6. Similar to pork, valuable meat cuts (choice cuts) from beef are usually excluded from further processing and marketed as fresh meat.*
commodity which provides
nutrients essential for health.
A variety of different textures,
colours and flavours of meat are
available for you to choose.
This module contains an overview
of the origin, structure and
composition of different types of
poultry (chicken meat)
fish (fish products)
Animal flesh consists of muscle tissue or
fibres, connective tissue and fatty
Lean meat is the muscle tissue of animals.
Muscle cells comprise of:
• the red protein called myoglobin
(similar to the blood pigment
Meat muscle is made up of bundles of
muscle fibres held together by creamy
white connective tissue.
Tendons join the muscle (made up of
bundles of muscle fibres, surrounded
by connective tissue) to the bones of
Connective tissue is made up of two proteins called collagen and elastin.
The connective tissue in and around the muscle fibres and tendons is
mostly collagen. When meat is cooked, the collagen becomes soft and
soluble, and forms gelatine.
This is much more elastic connective tissue.
It is yellow in colour and remains tough, even when cooked. The
ligaments which join two bones together are mostly made up of
Muscle fibres are very small – and can only be seen
under a microscope. The length of muscle fibres
Fine muscle fibres
These tend to come from the muscles of
young animals, or in older animals from
the muscles which do least work.
They contain little collagen and are
tender even when cooking times short,
Fat is found in meat underneath the skin (subcutaneous fat)
and between the muscles (intermuscular fat) and is a
This type of fat is called visible fat.
Visible fat (called suet) is also found around the animal’s
organs, such as the kidneys.
The colour of meat is largely due to the red protein called myoglobin
and some haemoglobin (blood) left in the muscle. Some muscles
contain more of these red pigments than others.
Colour differences can be due to age and exercise, but are mainly
due to the metabolism of the species and the function of the
Meat from muscles which have been used a lot and are from older
animals is usually a darker colour.
•Which animal meat are used for food?
•What is in the muscle tissue of animals?
•From which is connective tissue?
•What determines the color of the meat?
•From what is lean?