1. Infinitive constructions
To deteriorate –
1. a very heavy snowstorm
2. a set of tools, devices, etc.
4. not heavy
5. without companion or companionship
6. to grow worse
7. the total number
past 48 hours. Jamie Biddals, 32, from New Zealand, is
known to have left Kathmandu alone six days ago but has
not been seen since. He is thought to have only a small
amount of food and he is believed to be wearing only
lightweight climbing clothes. As for equipment, he is
known to be carrying a small rucksack and a lightweight
tent. He is said to have been heading for an old base
camp. The weather has deteriorated during the last 48
hours, and he is thought to have been trying to get to the
camp when a severe blizzard started. Jamie considered to
be one of the best climbers in the world but there are still
fears for his safety in these conditions.
4. Complex SubjectNoun or
+ Predicate + infinitive
to go to work to
поедет работать в
подлежащего (существительное или местоимение в
именительном падеже), составного глагольного
сказуемого: первая часть – глагол в
пассивном/активном залоге, вторая часть –
• Предложения с субъектным инфинитивным
оборотом соответствуют русским неопределенноличным предложениям типа «говорят, что…»,
«думают, что…», «сообщается, что…», «известно,
что…» и т.д.
To see, to hear, to
following words in think, to consider,
the Passive Voice to know, to expect,
to believe, to
suppose, to say, to
He is supposed to
He is said to be a
To seem, to prove, to He seems to
following words appear, to turn out,
in the Active
to happen, to chance unusual.
To be (un)likely, to be
sure, to be certain, to
be pleased, to be
He is sure to
He is known to be a good student.
10. Work in pairs. Suggest any ideas about Jamie’s escape. Exchange your ideas in the class. Use the following patterns:to do something
to be done
to have done something
to have been done
a) I called him every morning to see if there was any news.
b) We stopped to have a smoke.
c) He came here to speak to me, not to you.
d) The car was waiting at the door to take them to the station.
e) To explain the problem he drew diagrams all over the blackboard.
TRANSLATE INTO ENGLISH.
f) Я попросил вас прийти, чтобы сообщить вам об этом.
g) Я возьму такси, чтобы не опоздать на поезд.
h) Он шел медленно, чтобы не упасть.
i) Сейчас слишком поздно, чтобы идти в парк.
j) Я слишком устал, чтобы идти сегодня в кино.
k) Он недостаточно силен, чтобы участвовать в такой экспедиции.
12. Insert the required form of the infinitive in brackets.• Philip Bossiney was known (be) a young man without fortune.
• He is supposed (bury) in Westminster Abbey.
• Perhaps she had mentioned the fact already to Rebecca but this
young lady didn’t appear (remember) it.
• The ship was seen (leave) the harbour.
• The murderer is sure (discover) unless they help him.
• Do you happen (see) a crocodile in this parts?
• Adwin seemed (look) for something in the grass ever since dinner
• She was heard (sing) a popular tune.
• He invited confidences and seemed (give) him far too many. I said
to him, “We seem (become) friendly in a very short time”.
• This Baron seems (be) a very important man and (live) like a king.
• We seemed (walk) some distance and were in another part of the
13. TRANSFORM THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES USING COMPLEX SUBJECT.a. It is known that he is a great book lover.
b. It was expected that the members of the committee
would come to an agreement.
c. It was reported that many buildings had been damaged
by the fire.
d. It is reported the delegation has left London.
e. It is expected that many people will attend the meeting.
f. It was reported that the ship had arrived in Odessa.
g. It is considered that this mine is the best in the district.
h. It is said that the expedition has reached Vladivostok.
• What were you allowed to do that really surprised you?
• What were you advised to do that really helped you?
• What is something you were asked to do and you did
though you didn’t want to?
• What were you seen to do that you feel ashamed of?
• What are you expected to become in future?
• What does (any of your groupmates) seem to be thinking
• What is (any of your groupmates) likely to do after the
2. When he heard the woman _____.
3. Why don’t you let me _____.
4. We were allowed to _____.
5. He was forced to _____.
6. That man is considered/believed _____.
7. She is known _____.
8. The teacher expected me _____.
9. That old lady is said to _____.
16. Complete the sentences.1. He turned out …….. .
2. The boy was seen …. .
3. She is likely… .
4. The writer is known… .
5. I happen… .
6. The accident is reported…. .
7. The flight is said… .
8. The dog seemed… .
9. The castle appeared … .
10. They are sure … .
11. They are supposed … .