1. VOCABULARYlack of privacy
show somebody up
act like a baby
do teenage things
be on one’s own
2. A FamilyYour father’s mother is your grandmother. What do you call
your mother’s father
your father’s sister
your father’s brother’s son
your sister’s daughter
your mother’s second husband (who is not your father)
your father’s grandmother
your son’s wife
your daughter’s daughter
your brother’s wife
your mother’s brother
3. DO THE CROSSWORD4
4. A FAMILYONE’S PARENTS, GRANDPARENTS, BROTHERS
AND SISTERS, UNCLES, AUNTS, ETC
A GROUP OF ONE OR USUALLY TWO ADULTS
AND THEIR CHILDREN LIVING IN THE SAME
HAS THINGS TOGETHER…LIKE DREAMS AND
HOPES AND POSSESSIONS AND MEMORIES AND
A PLACE WHERE LOVE AND FAITH DWELL…
5. AMISH COMMUNITYThe Amish are a
religious group in the
USA that lives in a
traditional way, mainly
by farming and doesn’t
want to use modern
There are about
145,000 Amish people
in the US.
Amish communities can
be found in 22
6. AMISH COMMUNITYWalking into an Amish community is like going back
in time. You’ll see girls in long dresses, horses pulling
buggies, and homes lit by kerosene lamps. Amish
people lead a simple way of life centered around faith
and family. They speak a language called
Pennsylvania Dutch, or Amish, which sounds like
7. AMISH MENMen and boys wear dark-coloured suits, plain shirts
and black or straw broad-brimmed hats. Belts,
sweaters, ties and gloves forbidden. They do not
have moustaches, but they grow beards after they
get married. Men marry at the age of early 20th. Their
hobby is sport.
8. AMISH WOMENAmish women and girls wear plain dresses. They
also wear aprons and bonnets as a sign of their
respect for God. They never wear jewelry or make
up. Amish girls never cut their hair. Women usually
marry at 17 or 18. Their occupation is housekeeping,
hobby is hand-made wares.
9. AMISH FAMILYCommunity members are expected to marry and
have families. They can only marry other Amish.
Wedding dates for the Amish are in November or
December, when the harvest has been completed.
Men and women follow traditional gender roles.
10. OLD AMISH FAMILYThey often have large families, about 8 or 10
children. Divorce is forbidden. The Amish traditional
family provides much of the education for the child.
Although the formal education ends after they finish
the eighth grade, then the boys will work with the
father in the fields. The girls work inside the home
and garden, alongside the mother.
11. A FAMILY CHARTADVANTAG
12. AN IDEAL FAMILY, WHAT IS IT?
13. Some Helpful Tips for Writing a TopicA family is a group of people who live in the same
house. Do you think it is true? What is a family in
What issues do you think cause conflicts between
parents and teenagers?
Would you prefer to be an only child or one of two or
three children? Is it better to be the youngest or the
eldest child in a family? Give your reasons.
You work on a magazine answering the letters sent in
to its agony column. Decide what advice you can give
to a girl who has written in to say that she is always
quarreling with her sister.