Earth Day April 22nd
1. Earth Day April 22ndEarth
2. What is earth day?WHAT IS EARTH DAY?
It is a day when people
around the world try to do
positive things to protect the
environment and our planet.
3. 1st earth day1ST EARTH DAY
The first Earth Day was
organized in the United States in
1970 because pollution in the
USA was very bad : 60% of
lakes and rivers were polluted.
4. 1st earth dayGaylord Nelson, a US senator, encouraged
people to protest. On 22 April 1970; over 20
million people joined, rich and poor were
1ST EARTH DAY
5. EARTH DAY 2019In 1990, 20 years after the first Earth
Day, environmental leaders from
other countries asked to join the
movement. That year, 200 million
people from 141 countries
Now, more than 1 billion people in
192 countries take part in this day.
Earth Day 2018: End Plastic
Earth Day 2019: Protect Our
Earth Day 2020: 50th Anniversary of
6. Earth Day 1970Gaylord Nelson's Speech
(CBS News with Walter
EARTH DAY 1970
7. PROTECT OUR SPECIES QUIZ
8. 1/10. What is an endangered species?1/10. WHAT IS AN ENDANGERED SPECIES?
A type of organism that is at risk of extinction.
A species found on land and in the ocean.
A species that is threatened by prey.
All of the above.
Scientific evidence states that we’re now losing
species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the normal rate,
with many extinctions happening daily.
9. 2/10. The U.S. does not currently allow hunters to import animal trophies or parts.2/10. THE U.S. DOES NOT CURRENTLY
ALLOW HUNTERS TO IMPORT ANIMAL
TROPHIES OR PARTS.
Recently, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service reversed a ban on trophy
imports for some African species and removed findings that gave broader
permissions for importation. As such, trophy import applications for
elephants, lions, and bontebok across six African countries are currently
being reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
10. 3/10. Climate change affects the gender of sea turtles.3/10. CLIMATE CHANGE AFFECTS THE
GENDER OF SEA TURTLES.
Warming temperatures can impact the gender of hatchlings. Sea turtle
gender is determined by the temperatures during fertilization. Warming
trends could skew the balance of sea turtle offspring and future
11. 4/10. What percentage of crops are dependent on bee pollination in the U.S.?4/10. WHAT PERCENTAGE OF CROPS ARE
DEPENDENT ON BEE POLLINATION IN THE
Bee pollination is vital to maintaining life on our planet. In the U.S.
alone, pollination produces nearly $20 billion worth of products every
year and $217 billion worldwide.
12. 5/10. What can you do to help protect coral reefs?5/10. WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP
PROTECT CORAL REEFS?
Buy and use oxybenzone and octinoxate-free sunscreen.
Avoid purchasing coral.
Choose seafood that has been sustainably sourced.
All of the above.
13. 6/10. Nearly 40% of the 11,000 different bird species on Earth are experiencing a significant increase.6/10. NEARLY 40% OF THE 11,000 DIFFERENT BIRD SPECIES
ON EARTH ARE EXPERIENCING A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE.
They are facing a significant decline.
14. 7/10. Sounds from boats and sonar devices are dangerous to whales.7/10. SOUNDS FROM BOATS AND SONAR
DEVICES ARE DANGEROUS TO WHALES.
Ocean noise created by human activities puts marine species at
risk and threatens their survival. In fact, increased noise levels can
impact certain species like whales, who rely on the ability to
communicate and hear in their natural environment to find food,
mates, and avoid predators.
15. 8/10. Poaching is a severe threat to elephants. How many elephants are killed for their tusks?8/10. POACHING IS A SEVERE THREAT TO
ELEPHANTS. HOW MANY ELEPHANTS ARE
KILLED FOR THEIR TUSKS?
50 per day.
175 per week.
100 per day.
15 per day.
An astounding 100 elephants are killed each day for their tusks
to fuel the illegal ivory trade.
16. 9/10. How are microplastics (plastics that are less than 5 millimeters long) a threat to crustaceans?9/10. HOW ARE MICROPLASTICS (PLASTICS
THAT ARE LESS THAN 5 MILLIMETERS LONG)
A THREAT TO CRUSTACEANS?
Microplastics are not a threat to crustaceans because
they are biodegradable and safe to digest.
Microplastics are so small that they do not post any harm
to crustaceans or humans.
C) Microplastics can damage organs and increase exposure
to toxic chemicals. This can threaten immune function,
growth and reproduction. This has potentially larger
implications up the food chain for humans.
D) None of the above.
17. 10/10. Which of the following are threatened with extinction?10/10. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING ARE
THREATENED WITH EXTINCTION?
All of the above.
18. Love song to earthLOVE SONG TO EARTH