Types of ships
1. UNIT I SHIP TYPES OF SHIPS
2. Slayt 2We can classify ships as
•naval ships (warships)
3. MERCHANT SHIPSMerchant ships can be classified as
• cargo ships
• service ships
• passenger ships
• fishing vessels.
4. CARGO SHIPSCargo ships can be classified as
• bulk cargo ships
• general cargo ships
5. Slayt 5
6. Bulk Cargo ShipsBulk liquid cargoes such as crude
oil or petroleum products are
carried in tankers.
7. Slayt 7Chemicals are transported in
8. Slayt 8
9. Slayt 9
10. Slayt 10
11. Slayt 11
12. Slayt 12Gas carriers carry LPG
(Liquefied Petroleum Gas) or
LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas).
13. Slayt 13
14. Slayt 14
15. Slayt 15Bulk carriers (bulkers) carry
cargoes in bulk such as grain,
iron ore, fertilizer, timber,
16. Slayt 16
17. Slayt 17
18. GENERAL CARGO SHIPSReefers (Refrigerated Cargo
Carriers) carry refrigerated cargo
such as fish, meat, and fruit.
19. Slayt 19
20. Slayt 20
21. Slayt 21•Container ships carry cargo
in containers, which are
made of steel or aluminium
22. Slayt 22
23. Slayt 23
24. Slayt 24Roll-on/roll-off ships (RO-RO) are
always distinguished by large
doors in the hull and by external
ramps that fold down to allow
rolling between pier and ship.
25. Slayt 25
26. Slayt 26
27. Slayt 27
28. Slayt 28Heavy-lift ships can transport
huge sections of process
equipment around the world
29. Slayt 29
30. Slayt 30Livestock carriers are designed
to carry farm animals.
31. Slayt 31
32. SERVICE SHIPSCable-layers lay and repair
33. Slayt 33
34. Slayt 34
35. pipe-layers lay pipes
36. Dredgers deepen and clear waterways.
37. Slayt 37
38. Icebreakers open lanes for other ships through frozen waters.
39. Slayt 39
40. Slayt 40
41. Tugboats are designed to assist a large vessel in berthing, unberthing or departing the port or fire fighting.
42. Slayt 42
43. Slayt 43
44. Offshore supply vessels are designed to support equipment to oil rigs and drilling platforms located in the open seas.
45. Fireboats are designed to fight fires on board ship by spraying water and foam onto the fire
46. Barges are flat bottomed, large boats and are used for transporting goods in inland waterways
47. Pilot boat
48. PASSENGER SHIPSAny ship with space for more than 12
passengers is a passenger ship by international
Cruise ships vary in size, condition, class,
propulsion and accommodations
Ferries are vessels of any size that carry
passengers and their vehicles on fixed routes
over short cross-water passages.
Excursion boats include dinner boats, sightseeing
vessels and whale watching boats and they do
not provide overnight accommodations.
49. Slayt 49
50. Slayt 50
51. FISHING VESSELSFishing vessels are
•fish processing vessels
52. Slayt 52
53. Slayt 53
54. Purse seiner
55. NAVAL SHIPSSome naval ships are
56. Slayt 56
57. Slayt 57
58. SOME WORDSCrude (adj.)- Unrefined, raw.
Excursion (n) - Journey for pleasure.
Grain (n)- Cereal (wheat, rice, corn etc).
Lighter (n)- A barge equipped with a crane and
towed by tug.
Livestock (n) - Farm animals except poultry.
Purse seine (n) - A large net for fishing.
Trawl (n)- A large, baglike net dragged by a boat
along the bottom of a fishing bank.
59. Slayt 591-How can you classify
60. Slayt 602-What do tankers carry?
61. Slayt 613-What ships transport
62. Slayt 624-What does a cable-layer do?
63. Change the sentences into active.1-Refrigerated cargo is carried in reefers.
2-Farm animals are transported by livestock
3-Vessels are towed by tugboats.
4-Fire can be extinguished by a fire boat.
5-Ships are controlled by navigating officers
on the bridge.
64. Match the two columns.Column A
…2- service ship
…3- excursion boat
…4- fishing vessel
…5- livestock animal
…6- naval ship
…7- passenger ship
…8- bulk cargo
…9- refrigerated cargo
…10- pleasure craft
65. Which is not in the category of merchant ships?a. cruise ship
c. gas carrier
66. Which is not in the category of merchant ships?e. yacht
67. Which is a cargo ship?a. OBO
d. cruise ship
68. Which is a cargo ship?a. OBO
69. What tows ships in ports?a. Dredger
70. What tows ships in ports?b. Tugboat
71. Which is not a service ship?a. dredger
c. fire boat
d. offshore supply vessel
72. Which is not a service ship?b. reefer
73. Ore, grain, coal etc. are carried by;a. a tanker
b. a reefer
c. a LASH ship
d. a bulk carrier
e. livestock carrier
74. Ore, grain, coal etc. are carried by;d. a bulk carrier
75. Livestock carriers carry;a. petroleum products
d. refrigerated cargo
e. farm animals
76. Livestock carriers carry;e. farm animals
77. Which is not used for fishing?a. a trawler
b. a purse seiner
c. a whaling ship
d. an excursion boat
e. a fish processing vessel