Changing times, changing styles
1. CHANGING TIMES, CHANGING STYLES• THE MOTTO OF THE LESSON
• CLOTHES MAKE THE MAN
• NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER
2. What do you know about fashion? Learn new words:
Up to date
Out of date
3. THE HISTORY OF FASHION Read the text in ex. 1 p.152
4. Before the First World War fashion didn’t change much.Describe the appearance of
5. Moustaches were very popularDescribe the appearance
of these men.
6. The Roaring TwentiesWhat new pieces of
clothing can you
7. Teddy BoysWhat new pieces of
clothing can you
8. What was in fashion for girls in the 1950s? Find the answer in the text.
9. What pieces of clothing came into fashion for girls in the 1960s?
10. What pieces of clothing came into fashion for young men in the 1960s?
11. What did people do with their clothes to look fashionable in the late 1960s and in the mid-1970s?
12. Levi Strauss
13. Today the company he started is known all over the world
14. In what period did people follow the hippie style?
15. What kind of footwear was trendy in the early 1970s?
16. What did people wear to be up to date with the fashion in the 1970s?
17. What period of time was sportswear in fashion?
18. When did shoulder-padded shirts go out of fashion?
19. GUESS THE RIDDLES• You put them on at home. They are warm and
comfortable. They are usually made of leather,
wool or felt.
20. GUESS THE RIDDLES• You put it on when it is cold. It is usually made
of wool. It’s very popular among teenagers.
21. GUESS THE RIDDLES• It is a kind of footwear. It is necessary especially
for those people who go in for sports.
22. GUESS THE RIDDLES• This thing is used to decorate your blouse or
dress. In old times clothes were decorated with
it too. Your clothes look smart and beautiful
with this thing.
23. FILL IN THE GAPS FROM THE WORDS IN THE BOXColours
• My best friend Julia is one of those girls
but she will never
put on extravagant
• Her everyday clothes consists of a
knitted by her Granny and
• Her hair is always
• From time to time she
her hair but
not so brightly.She prefers black, brown
Sometimes one can see a
in her hair.
her bag made of
• Julia doesn’t like to have a lot of
on her face. But in my opinion she knows
how to look
24. MATCH THE PARTS OF THE SENTENCES1.An earing is …
… an item of British traditional clothes.
2. An exibit is …
… a stock of clothes.
3. A wardrobe is..
… a number of shops owned by the same company
4. A thread is ….
… a thing or collection of things shown for public
5. A boaster is ….
… a thing which is used as an ornament.
6. A chain is …
… a thing which is used in making
clothes, or in sewing .
25. CHOSE THE CORRECT WORD FROM THE LISTTo fit , to match , to suit
1. What a pretty waistcoat. It … you . Buy it.
2. These shoes are too tight. They don’t … me .
3. This dress is too bright for my taste. It doesn’t
… you .
4. That’s a very smart tie. It … your suit .
5. I want a blouse to … this skirt .
26. CHOSE THE CORRECT WORD1. Fashion is important to to me ,that’s why I always wear designer/
2. I like to stand out from the crowd and always wear unusual/
practical clothes .
3. I need a waterproof/ elegant raincoat to go to the countryside for
a picnic .
4A coat is a size bigger than I need. It looks tight/ loose on
5. She wants to look fashionable but in fact she looks glamorous/
ridiculous in a baggy T- shirt and on high heels .