Past tenses. Form 10
1. Past TensesМетодическая разработка урока
Автор: Аристова Ольга
Учитель иностранного языка
МБОУ СОШ №51 г.Архангельск
2. The Past Simple Tenseрегистрирует:
последовательные действия, происшедшие:
two years ago
the other day
First…, after…, then…
3. (+), (-), (?) FormationSubject
4. (+), (-), (?) Formation(+)
V2(-ed)… . He worked.
V…? Did he work?
V…? What did he do?
Who V2…? Who worked?
didn’t V… .
He didn’t work.
5. Ask for further information (?)Will trained…
What…? When…? Where…? Why…? How…?
6. Express doubt (?) Refute the statements (-)1. They kept a crocodile as a pet at home.
2. The Loch Ness Monster lived in a lake in Scotland.
3. The mysterious UFO hovered in the sky not far from
school from 9 till 10.
4. Their boat crew made a trip around the world in several
5. John Lodgie Baird from Scotland invented the radio.
6. Russian cosmonauts landed on the moon in1969.
7. Charlotte Bronte created “Jane Eyre” in 1947.
7. The Verb “to be” in the Past Simple Глагол с привилегиейto be
8. The Past Continuous Tense (вчера в это время я…)Случаи употребления:
описывает действие, которое происходило в
определенный момент в прошлом
для описания параллельных действий в
прошлом(после союза while или as)
для описания действия, которое протекало, когда
произошло какое-либо другое
действие,выраженное в Past Simple
• when Mary returned
9. (+), (-), (?) FormationI
at 7 o’clock yesterday
all day long yesterday
when Mum came
10. Past Simple or Past Progressive?Last night I (have) a wonderful dream.(1)
My friends and I (have) a lot of fun!(2)
When we (arrive) in Honolulu(3) a man (wait) to take us to
The hotel where we (stay) was by a beach with palm
Drums(beat) and the people on the beach(sing)
and(dance) to the music.(6,7,8,)
The music (get) louder and louder(9) until I(can) hear a
ringing in my ears.
(10) It (be) my alarm-clock.
11. The Past Perfect Tense “предпрошедшее”Случаи употребления:
описывает действия, которые завершились к
определенному моменту в прошлом
by 5 o’clock yesterday
by that time yesterday
by the time she came
Выразить действие, которое произошло ранее другого
действия в прошлом:
The sailor told(2-ое действие) about the dangers he had
After she had cried, she felt better.
В главном предложении, когда придаточное
начинается с союза before
• Before Mother came home, John had already made
when (in the meaning “before / after”)
(+), (-), (?) Formation
had Vз (-ed)… .
hadn’t Vз(-ed)… .
13. Betty’s surprise birthday party What had her friends done before Betty came home from school?
14. Past Simple or Past Perfect?1. After the doctor (examine) him, he (write) a
2. By the end of the Christmas holidays almost all the
class (catch) a virus.
3. The patient (die) before the ambulance (reach) the
4. We (light ) the candles because the lights (go off).
5. As soon as the teams (come) out onto the field, the
15. Join the sentences using Past Simple or Past Perfect1. John studied French. He went to Paris.(before)
2. The army commander studied the maps. He made
3. The boy stopped taking medicines. He developed
complications. (as soon as)
4. Manchester United had an advantage. Sunderland
scored the first goal.(before)
5. Mary put on some weight. She gave up her
morning jogging exercises.(after)
16. The Past Perfect Continuous прошедшее завершенное длительное время употребляется:для выражения длительного прошедшего действия
He felt tired as he had been playing football.
…for two hours when he came…
…since the time when….
(+), (-) Formation
had been Ving
hadn’t been Ving
17. Use the Past Perfect Continuous1. It( rain)before he crashed his car.
2. I (stay) at the hotel for a fortnight when I received
3. The tourists( walk) along a forest road when they
saw light in the distance.
4. The children (sit) by the fire for an hour when the
moon suddenly appeared.
5. She(study) English for several years when she
took the exam.
18. Choose the correct form1. She did everything the way they (advise).
A. advised B. had advised C. were advising
2.We (wander) around the town when we bumped into
A. were wandering B. had been wandering
3.Bart was tired. He(dig) the plot since early in the
A. was digging B. had dug C. had been digging
4. I (walk)along the canal last night when a great idea
occurred to me.
A. was walking B. had been waiking C. had walked
A. were /seeing B. Did C. had/seen
6. After she (unpack) the luggage, she called room service.
A. unpacked B. had been unpacking C. had unpacked
7. While Ronald was swimming he (find) an injured turtle.
A. found B. had found C. was founding
8. The guide (organize) everything well in advance, so our
trip went smoothly.
A. was organizing B. organized C. had organized
9. Val was writing an e-mail while Rebecca (design) a new
A. was designing B. designed C. had been designing