Past Continuous Tense
Минулий тривалий час
2. Past Continuous TenseМинулий тривалий час
• виражає дію, що відбувалася в
конкретний момент в минулому часі:
She was planting flowers at the garden at 5p.m.
He was sitting at the window when I came in.
• виражає дію, що відбувалася
впродовж певного часу в минулому:
I was traveling a lot in 2007.
3. Past Continuous TenseМинулий тривалий час
was/were + work + ing
I was working.
You were working. He was working.
We were working. She was working.
They were working. It was working.
4. ЗапереченняPast Continuous Tense
was /were not + дієслово+ing
I was not working.
You were not working.
He was not working.
We were not working.
She was not working.
They were not working.
It was not working.
5. ПитанняPast Continuous Tense
Was / were – підмет – присудок
Was I working?
Were you working?
Was he working?
Were we working?
Was she working?
Were they working?
Was it working?
1. I ________ movie yesterday night.
b) was watching
2. Paul ______ football at the park at the noon.
b) was playing
3. We___ mushrooms yesterday the whole day.
b) were gathering
4. Ann _______ a bath at 8 p.m.
b) was taking
5. We _____ Past Simple Tense last Thursday.
b) were learning
6. Merry______ a lesson from 3 p.m. till 5 p.m.
b) was giving
7. John is tired, he _____ a car the whole night.
b) was driving
8. John _____ us to the airport.
b) was driving
9. They _______ for a bus at that time.
b) were waiting
10. Mark _____ home late yesterday.
b) was coming
11. I _____ an ice-cream for a dessert.
b) was having
12. Yesterday at 6 Kate _____ dinner.
b) was preparing
13. My friend _____ the table in my favorite
b) was booking
14. We ________ dinner for 2 hours.
b) were having
15. Their son _______ to be a painter, but then
he ______ the medical university.
b) was going
b) was entering
16. Children _______ the whole box of letters
to the Santa.
b) were writing
17. Children ______ a composition at the
literature lesson during 15 minutes.
b) were writing
18. We _____ Joan in the kitchen. She ______.
b) were finding
b) was cooking
19. I ______ over an hour late to the office and
a) arrived b) were writing
b) was working
20. We ______ in the park during two hours.
b) were running
21. No one _____ when I ______ home. They
______ the big game on TV.
b) was noticing
b) was getting
b) were watching
22. I _____ out the window. The stranger ____
in front of the house.
b) was looking
b) was standing
23. July ______ the sweater you ______ her
the whole season.
b) was wearing
b) were giving
24. We _____ about this theme for a month.
b) were arguing
all day long.
1. II am
house last month.
the whole night.
4. Julie slept
at 6 p.m.
5. You watched
during all day.
6. We laugh
a lot these
at 9 o’clock.
7. I talk
at the library
for 2 hours.
8. You studied
at the library
book at 11 a.m.
the hospital from 3 to 9 p.m.
eating chocolate at that moment.
friends at 7 p.m
during 3 hours.
13. He was
14. You were
15. I am
16. The children are
a bike at 8 a.m.
17. He doesn’t
today?from 9 to 11 a.m.?
at 6 o’clock?
20. I am
this year.during 4 hours.
16. Past Continuous Tense + Past SimpleМинулий тривалий час + Минулий звичайний
I was translating the article, when
коротка одноразова дія
someone knocked at the door.
We ate the whole cake, while we
were watching the movie.
When she woke up the birds were singing.
They were having breakfast when
the postman brought mail.
When son came home his mother was
slip and fall
walk at the street
He slipped and fell when he was walking.
run after bus
While he was running after bus he lost his
see a bear
They were fishing when they saw a bear.
walk the dog
start to rain
She was walking the dog when it started
feel pain in leg
She was doing some exercises when she
felt pain in her leg.
They were playing chess when the
talk on the phone
The cat broke the plant while she was
talking on the phone.
do not bother
She did not bother him, while he was
wear white T-shirt
He was wearing white T-shirt when he
met his classmate.
get to the concert
play favorite music
When we got to the concert, the band was
playing my favorite music.
do not know
prepare a surprise party
I didn’t know that my friends were
preparing a surprise party for me.
go to bed early
Last night I went to bed early because I
was feeling tired.
do not sleep
listen to loud music
I did not sleep because my neighbor was
listening to loud music.
open the door
Boys were watching TV when the baby
opened the door.
It was snowing when the man left home.
win the match
Our team was winning the match when
suddenly opposite player scored.
have a picnic
They were having a picnic when the fire
The police arrived when the thief was
read the new
When he read the new, his wife was
knitting a scarf.
It was getting darker and the street lights
play hide and seek
The children were playing hide and seek
when they found the treasure.