CSR at
General information
Energy Consumption
Water Consumption
Waste Reduction and Recycling
Carbon Emissions
Personal information scandal
Category: historyhistory

Company Google

1. CSR at

by Kuimov Alexey

2. General information

■ Industry
Internet, Software, Computer Hardware
■ Founded
September 4, 1998 in Menlo Park, CA
■ Founders
Larry Page, Sergei Brin
■ Headquarters
Googleplex, Mountain View, CA
■ Number of employees
57,100 (2015)


Starting from 2015, Google issues environmental report that contains the details of Google
CSR programs and initiatives. The following are the most noteworthy parts of Google
performance in important fronts of CSR taken from Google Environmental Report 2016 and
other sources

4. Energy Consumption

■ Google data centers consume 50% less energy compared to a typical data center
■ Google purchases or produces 24% of renewable energy and the company has 11%
renewable electricity already on the grid, thus total use of renewable energy
accounts to 35%. The use of remaining 65% energy which is non-renewable is
neutralized by carbon offset projects
■ In Mountain View campus 1.9 MW solar panels generate more than 3 million kWh
clean energy

5. Water Consumption

■ Google data center in Berkeley County, South Carolina alone uses about 4 million
gallons of surface water per day
■ From 2013 to 2015, the internet giant reduced potable liters of water used per
employee by 30% at its Bay Area headquarters
■ In total, six of Google’s operating data centers have achieved 100% landfill
diversion, and one of these has reached Zero Waste to Landfill
■ The company has set regional water reduction targets for its offices in 2017

6. Waste Reduction and Recycling

■ In 2015, Google has diverted 84% of waste from its global data center operations
away from landfills, and so far in 2016, it has diverted 86%.
■ In 2015, 19% of the servers Google deployed were remanufactured machines
■ In 2015, 52% of the components Google used for machine upgrades in company
data centers were refurbished inventory

7. Carbon Emissions

■ The company has been carbon neutral since 2007
■ Google’s ‘Commuting Sustainably’ program keeps 5,700 cars out of the road and
company shuttle program and electric vehicle charging stations is equivalent to
more than 87 million vehicle miles annually.
■ Google is increasing the range of its operations in cloud, a platform that is carbon
neutral with positive environmental implications

8. Philanthropy

In 2004, Google formed the not-forprofit philanthropic Google.org, with
a start-up fund of $1 billion. The
mission of the organization is to
create awareness about climate
change, global public health, and
global poverty.

9. Personal information scandal

Google's treatment of user data was called "disappointing." First, human rights
defenders expressed concern about the reduced transparency of the Internet search
engine. The increased number of products and services has resulted in the company no
longer disclosing the conditions for storing personal information in full. Secondly,
Google does not notify users that they have been requested by law enforcement
agencies after they have not disclosed this information.

10. References

■ "Google is now the world's most valuable brand". February 1, 2017
■ "Company". Google. January 16, 2015
■ "Google Inc. Annual Reports". Google Inc. July 28, 2015
■ "Choose a Plan". December 2,2016
English     Русский Rules