The Byzantine style in architecture
1. The Byzantine style in architecture
2. At the end of the IV century flourished the great Byzantine culture, including architecture. The main features of Byzantine architecture:The use of domes in the Central part of the building. The Byzantines were the
first to think up placing domes on «sails», that allowed to have a less
cumbersome wall and expand the room.
Inside the temple, under the dome, creates the gallery From below it was
supported by columns.
Minimum of architectural details in the interior and maximum rich design.
The walls were clad in marble and covered with gold leaf, mosaics and
The windows were usually narrow and with a rounded top.
In the construction of buildings was usually used plinfa, brick and stone.
3. The influence of the Byzantine architectural tradition has spread to almost the entire territory of modern Europe. Temples built in this style still preserved in many countries.
4. Hagia Sophia (Constantinople) ( VI century. Turkey)
5. St. Sophia Cathedral (XI century. Kiev)St. Sophia Cathedral
(XI century. Kiev)
6. Romanesque and Gothic styles
7. The architecture of the middle ages is represented by only two species – the Romanesque and the Gothic. The Romanesque style originated in the eighth century and flourished until the twelfth century, when it was replaced by Gothic. Romanesque architectuThe architecture of the middle ages is represented by only two species – the
Romanesque and the Gothic.
The Romanesque style originated in the eighth century and flourished until
the twelfth century, when it was replaced by Gothic.
Romanesque architecture is almost always the structure of the defensive type.
8. The characteristic features of Romanesque style:solidity, simplicity and clarity of forms;
thick walls and small narrow windows;
semi-circular vaulted arch;
Correct ratio of horizontal and vertical lines.
9. The monastery at Cluny (X century, France)
10. The Pisa Cathedral (end of the XIII century, Italy)
11. Gothic is considered an outstanding architectural style of the middle ages.
12. The main features of Gothic architecture:aspiration upward, ease of architectural forms;
large height of the structure;
pointed arch; a peaked roof;
large windows with stained glass;
a large number of sculptures.
13. Notre-Dame de Paris (XIV century, France)
14. Milan Cathedral (XIV century, Italy)Milan Cathedral
(XIV century, Italy)